One thing I did get out of the Whole30 challenge was making my own mayonnaise. For some reason I’d just never tried. I think mostly because raw eggs gross me out a little bit and also because I’ve always heard how hard it is to get right. But then, figured I should just suck it up because if I can lick raw cake batter I can eat homemade mayo and then I found this amazing recipe .
Seriously, once you make the basic mayonnaise, you can make all sorts of adjustments. I currently have a thing for Chipotle so Chipotle it is. I found this seasoning in Woolies when I was grocery shopping on Monday and was so impressed by the clean ingredients I stocked up.
I haven’t tried the sour cream seasoning yet but will be sure to let you know when I do.
- 1 egg
- 250ml light olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Chipotle seasoning
- You’ll want to watch the video in the mayonnaise recipe link above just to make sure you get it right. It really is very easy but the visual helps with the written instructions below.
- Crack the egg into a tall narrow jug (the one that came with your stick blender would be perfect)
- Add the olive oil
- Take your stick blender and place the blades directly over the egg yolk on the bottom of the jug
- Start blending on high speed. As the egg and oil start to emulsify, slowly raise the blender to the top of the liquid until it all comes together. Then you can raise it up and down a few times to further thicken the mayo.
- Add the garlic powder, sweetener, salt and chipotle seasoning on top and blend in. You can adjust the spices etc to taste but remember the flavour will intensify after it’s been sitting for a while.